Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Final Preparations Begin for Utah Moto 2010


As if I haven't seen enough of Utah already? Yeah, right, I think it would be impossible to see the entire state in a lifetime. The annual dual-sport motorcycle trip is in the final planning stages. I'm posting this as a test of some of my new gadgets. This year, I will attempt to post a few highlights of each day using my iPhone and blogging software. I am also embedding a live map of our progress into the blog page. (you'll have to refresh this page to see our progress unfortunately) To do this, I have wired my iPhone into the dash of my motorcycle and will transmit live GPS coordinates to a web server every 2 minutes. This way you can see our last transmitted location, elevation, speed etc. on a live map. Of course this technology only works when the phone has 3G or Edge coverage which surprisingly was quite often on our last ride. Coverage comes easier when you ride high mountain passes and ridges!




After our last big ride, we learned a few things. Here are some new modifications and changes to the bikes this year, besides applying loctite to every bolt and screw on the bike.

New Touratech GPS Mount and Bracket. If you read my last report, you'll understand why I'm ditching the RAM mount:

(2) Primus 1.5 Liter fuel bottles which I'll carry in my backpack. Just in case I burn the already 4.3 gallons of fuel I'm carrying on the bike. It's estimated we get about 40 MPG on these beasts:

KTM Radiator fan. These KTMs run extremely hot and therefore require some additional cooling. It's a shame they don't come stock with this item. This will be critical especially since we will be riding in summer heat:

JDJetting kit in the carbeurator. Supposed to make the bike more spunky and responsive. Installed it myself. Nothing like tearing the carb to pieces and tweaking it.

Custom built jumper cable: One thing we've learned about these bikes is they are impossible to kick start when they get flooded. Van built us some cables that are hard wired into our bikes. We can easily connect to each other and jump if required.

3 comments:

The Collett Family said...

J- I have no idea what half of the stuff you wrote means, but it sounds complex.
Just hope you're safe!

SSWS said...

I can't believe we are related......I'm with H - no clue what your doing...but proud you can do it! I can barely work my iphone, let alone wire it to a bike....be safe! No falling trees this year. love, s

Greg Christensen said...

Will you be listening mostly to the Samples, DMB and the Yellowjackets?