Sunday, October 7, 2012

Neon Canyon


My first visit to the Grand Staircase Escalante was back when I was in highschool.  This was several years before it became the famous place it is now.  Back then, it was a much more peaceful place to visit.  You hardly saw any other vehicles while you drove up and down the "hole in the rock" road to the various trailheads.  Back then, you had to watch out that you didn't hit a cow head on, now days you have to be alert for "cruiseamerica" rental RV's going where they shouldn't.  I've covered a lot of turf in this part of the state but for some reason have never made it out to "Neon" canyon and it's famous "Golden Cathedral" rappel.  Luckily, a few co-workers expressed some interest so we hatched a plan. 


The view from the "Egypt" trailhead looking east towards our destination.  Warning, don't try and drive the family mini-van here.  You might find yourself trying to call AAA with no cell service.


"I think the canyon is over there somewhere","OK, sounds good, let's keep walking then and maybe we'll run into it".


Starting up the mouth of "Neon".  As long as I live, I will never find myself tired of the beautiful "stained" red rock walls of the Escalante river drainage.


Today's route requires us to climb left out of "Neon", skirt along it's rim and then drop in when we are good and ready for some serious "Michael Phelps" Olympic Style Swimming in frigid October water.


Yep, I think there is definitely a canyon below.  It's quite different to be able to look at the canyon you are about to descend.


We are now about 1/2 mile east of the "normal drop-in".  This choice will bring us more Narrows and cold swims than the "Neon sport-route".  I'm personally happy we made such a choice.


Dry as a bone.  C'mon, why did we bring our wetsuits?


Oh, that's why.  Makes sense now.  Were just getting started.


I guess this wouldn't be a good place to be hanging out in a flash flood.


This is the "business".  Starting to think maybe the dry-suit would have been a good idea.


I was having flashbacks of the "Disney Jungle Cruise" in this watery corridor.  Must have been the mushrooms I ate in the Canyon bottom.


Since these are my co-workers, this adventure was dubbed as a "teambuilding" exercise.  Meet the team.


Sometimes Canyoneering has certain body size restrictions to exit.  This would definitely be one of those places.  I have never seen a feature like this in any canyon anywhere.


Josh descending the world famous "Golden Cathedral".  I think next time we will find a way to descend the outer hole but for now I'm definitely satisfied.


They say it's a good idea to hose-off and dry all your gear after a soggy adventure.  I will therefore follow the rules.

4 comments:

Jonathon said...

Awesome!

Terry Bytheway said...

Wow. I'm pretty sure it sucks to be you sometimes.

Marie aka Grams said...

Great pics. So glad you're home safe and warm. (JB is jealous.)

Greg Christensen said...

This is so cool it's making me cross-eyed.